Monday, March 13, 2017

The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, UT will be my place of research for the next couple of days. It's time to line up things to look for when we are back east in May and June.  So far, this afternoon, I was able to find references to records that are digitized and online. There must be some  things in the library that have not been digitized yet.

Just last month, I found a microfilm that had not been digitized. It was an index of land and property transactions for Suffolk County, NY back in the 1600s and 1700s. Those are my people! 

Even though it was in the index, it had some good information. It referred to Joseph Conklin, son of Isaac Conklin. That shows a relationship right there. I am looking forward to digging into that farther.  

There was a vending machine that had flash drives for sale for six dollars each. I took a roll of microfilm over to the copy room, and a nice young man showed me how to use the electronic reading machine. I was able to save copies of some of the images that were on the microfilm onto my flash drive.  Because of licensing restring, I was not permitted to copy the entire film onto my flash drive.  That was a very fruitful, though short, trip to the family history Library.

Today's date is 13 March 2017, and I just noticed that I haven't published this yet.  Not sure exactly which day I wrote this originally, but thought it would be good to send it out today.  Maybe something in here will be useful to somebody.

No comments: